Chat Place Forum

Forum for general chat. Welcome to chat place forum

It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 8:45 am
---------->CLICK HERE TO CHAT LIVE NOW<----------

Post subject: i installed windows 7. i already have windows XP SP3. Do i have to install all my software again?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:35 am 

or is there any other way?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: i installed windows 7. i already have windows XP SP3. Do i have to install all my software again?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:47 am 

Upgrade programs are rhere. New install: install all programs again!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:59 am 

Yes and no. You can access your XP partition from Windows 7 and vice versa. If you don't automatically see the partition that XP is installed on when you go to My Computer, then if you open your Start Menu, then right click on My Computer and select Manage, then go to Store, then to Disk Management you should be able to see your XP partition and have it appear in My Computer.

After that, you can browse through your XP programs and try launching them. For a lot of stuff it works fine. Music and everything can certainly stay in your other partition. For the most programs can too, but some either won't launch or will seriously lag if you run them from another partition in another OS.

For the ones that do work, you can simply save a shortcut to the programs or folder, and then you're set.

If you install a program like iTunes or use Windows Media Player, when you copy songs from the other partition into your playlist it will remember them despite them being in another partition, saving the need for having to copy them to this partition. Same goes for pictures, movies, etc.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:11 am 

you should have had everything backed up on a seperate disk then it would have been easier,, now you will have to re-install other wise win 7 will not recognize any programs..

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:23 am 

If you did it on another partition then you will have to set a dual boot scenario, if a fresh install it would have formatted the drive.Is your PC compliant with Vista2 , oh sorry Win 7, software and hardware, did you run update advisor to see if it was? Free download frow microsoft? Will Graphics car run Aero? Dual boot the oldest OS goes on the first partition, then you have to modify a file so you get the choice, of which system to run? Dual booting is time and space consuming. I would reccommend you stick with XP till they got it right?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:35 am 

You will have to reinstall the programs in order for them to work properly.

Profile E-mail